Mackie Douglas

Mackie Douglas
I am going on a Rotary Youth Exchange to Oulu, Finland. Wish me luck.

Saturday 6 September 2014

Berry Picking, Sailing, and Additional Adventurous Activities

Being in a unique country comes with unique experiences and I am glad I was able to participate in a few before the cold weather begins to settle on my rosy cheeks. I spent one day at my host family’s grandparents’ home and we went berry picking, it’s amazing how fun this relaxing activity can be once you add a bit of enthusiasm into the mix. I learned that in Finland the people are able to pick any wild berries or mushrooms that they find in the forest, which makes berry and mushroom picking very popular activities for people living in the countryside, and also one of my newest hobbies. I also went sailing with my second host family, the weather was beautiful and I am glad to have spent my first sailing experience with such a welcoming and friendly family :). Also you cannot get salmonella from chicken eggs in Finland, so you could say my favorite food has been updated. COOKIE DOUGH.

I took a tour of Old Liminka, although I do not speak Finnish, with the help of my generous host-mother, Niina, I was able to gain some knowledge about Finnish history, specifically in the countryside where I am living. A common trend among antique buildings in Northern Finland is that that many buildings in were made from wood, and many of these wooden buildings were sadly burned. I visited a museum of art from a famous painter, who lived in Liminka, and created art that is loved by people all over Europe. I also visited one of the oldest churches in Liminka and was given the opportunity to play their organ; they let me play for a solid 30 minutes despite my inadequate musical talents, which was when a young piano player stole the show (my second host family’s youngest daughter Mintu). This organ was beautiful and white; it was also large enough for me to walk inside! As of August 30th, 2014 taking a tour of the inside of an organ has been checked off of my unrealistic bucket list.

I spent three days at an art camp/course in Manamansalon. The camp was very relaxed, focused on self-expression and our surrounding environment. I remember being very young and always loving art, I loved being proud of what I had created, and I loved the inspiration that I received from the littlest things in ordinary life. As I grew older, essays, grades, memorizing, studying and university applications became the extent of my creativity. I had forgotten how much I loved to create and appreciate art. The most important thing I gained from this oasis away from paradise was that being an artist doesn’t mean that you are a perfect drawer, writer or musician, it just means that you are able to express yourself. Reminding me of a completely relevant quote “She never looked nice, she looked like art, and art isn’t supposed to look nice, it’s supposed to make you feel.” Over this past month I have been able to create as much art as my heart desires, I have a newly developed love for photography, and my drawing skills are slowly returning with the help of new friends’ talents and their encouraging attitudes.

Now that school is becoming a routine for me, I am adding activities to get back into my busy lifestyle, which as I have discovered, is a huge part of my personality. Before I left on exchange, I believed that I would spend the year relaxing and eating bon bons, as Papa Scotty would say in this context, but after three weeks of “bon bon eating” and “relaxing”, I was completely ready to jump back into hectic schedules and excel spreadsheets consisting of weekly plans. I have started going to the gym during my free periods at school, which should control the exchange weight and also keep me preoccupied while other students study away. I have started Finnish classes, which will make everyday life here in Oulu much easier and give me the basis of a skill I want to continually improve throughout my exchange. Lastly, I have registered for Ballet and Pointe classes at a beautiful studio in Oulu, thanks to a friendly ballerina in my Physical Education class.

Finally, along with my idea that I feel like I’m on a Harry Potter movie set, a fellow classmate made a statement that followed the same plot. “You know, your name kind of looks like it belongs in a Harry Potter movie.” “Oh?” “Yes like Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, and Mackie Douglas, it’s like you were meant to be in their group of wizards!” I think someone is trying to send me a message regarding Harry, not sure what it is, but I am positive that I would be a huge asset to the Anti-Voldemort Movement. 

Happy monthiversary to best boyfriend I will ever need.
Still in love with Finland,

Mackie









No comments:

Post a Comment