Mackie Douglas

Mackie Douglas
I am going on a Rotary Youth Exchange to Oulu, Finland. Wish me luck.

Saturday 16 August 2014

Suomealaiset vs. Kanadalaiset (Finns vs. Canadians)

My first week in Finland.

I slept in dorms at a Finnish Language Proficiency Camp in Karkku (about an hour drive from the nearest city, Tampere), met about 110 other amazing Finnish exchange students, ate the traditional Finnish meals, and made some wonderful friends.

I also have noticed some small (but nonetheless apparent) differences between life in Canada and life in Finland.

In stores, the price you see is the price you pay.  In restaurants and also in general, no one gives tips. When I spent the day in Tempere, I bought some Finnish berries from a farmer’s stand with another exchange friend, they cost 1.50 euros each and us foreigners gave her 2.00 euros each and she was shocked when we told here she could keep the change, where as in Canada, it wouldn’t be an uncommon thing to give someone an extra 50 cents.

With regards to the language, there are some aspects that I find slightly easier than other languages, and also interesting. In Finnish there are no articles (the, a), instead they are included in the word. The vocabulary is original and unfamiliar to other languages, but also consists of a few international words; taksi, hotelli, musiikkki, banaani. The hardest part is that there is no word for “please” in Finnish, being a Canadian, manners are engrained in our minds from day yksi (one), this will take some getting used to. My favorite part about Finnish, so far, is that the Finnish language uses a conveniently large number of compound words, so now knowing only three words I am able to make a plethora of vaguely translated words that are understood by all Finns:

word + book = dictionary
sana + kirja = sanakirja

book + lots of = library
kirja + sto = kirjasto

word + lots of = vocabulary
sana + sto = sanasto

Additionally to the words being easy to combine, there is logical meaning to many of the words, making them easier to remember, and more interesting to learn. For example, Wednesday = keskiviikko, which literally translates to “middle of the week” and it doesn’t end in “ai” like the other days of the week, making it the only day I remember. So if anyone asks me, keskiviikko is my favorite day of the week.

The culture is also different, but it couldn’t possibly fit my personality any better. Finnish people are always punctual, even if you will be five minutes late; you let everyone know that you will be late. On the buses in Finland, you shouldn’t sit next to anyone because that would be too forward, and they are very quiet, no one talks unless they are talking on the phone. In Finland, you learn to enjoy the company of the silence, Finnish people do not interrupt, small talk does not exist and conversation is very direct, because of this, it is understandable that a Finn means exactly what they say. In Finland the line-up (jono) before doing anything is considered a sacred system, you always wait your turn and never butt in front of anyone, if someone does cheat the system; a Finn would be considerably unimpressed, but would be too shy to say anything. With regards to eating habits, Finns drink a lot of coffee, and everything from the potatoes to the desserts, tastes delicious.

My first week at school.

The year is split into five jaksos (periods); which are usually six weeks each with one exam week. In each jakso a student is able to have a maximum of eight classes. A normal school day can have up to five classes, but depending on your course load that may not be the case.

I attend an arts school (Oulun Suomalaisen Yhteiskoulun Lukio) where academic courses are offered but art classes are mandatory. My school looks like Hogwarts (only for muggles) so all day I feel like I’m on a Harry Potter movie set… Maybe I should look into drama classes to get the full effect? In all of the classes the students are always given time to do their homework, and the project guidelines are very broad giving the students a lot of room for self expression.

The students are very welcoming and are always willing to lend a helping hand. I am so thankful for this because of the multiple times I was lost in the basement…

I’m hoping to start language classes as soon as possible so that I can start taking harder courses in school. Even though art class is the highlight of my day, I miss my vigorous math studies. I realize how weird that is, but school won’t be complete for me if I’m not engulfed in algebra.

My entire support system here in Finland is incredible, I have someone to come to for help in any situation, from finances to education, there is someone to advise me. My favorite part about my Rotary club is that: as excited as I am to be here, I think my club might be slightly more excited. :)

They say that the first month of your exchange will be the hardest but honestly this week with my host family, school and friends has been wonderful. If the rest of my year goes anything like these weeks have, I will never want to come home! I love Finland and everything it has to offer.

Looking forward to my future experiences this year.

Mackie




No comments:

Post a Comment