Mackie Douglas

Mackie Douglas
I am going on a Rotary Youth Exchange to Oulu, Finland. Wish me luck.

Sunday 21 September 2014

They Call Me "That Excited Canadian"

As I sit here watching Finnish Muumis (children’s cartoons that are often watched by foreigners to learn the language) while writing about my last two weeks, I can’t help but think that today marks my 50th day away from home… I can literally see the days of sand sliding through my metaphorical hourglass of my exchange… On a lighter note, for those of you interested in the exciting things I’ve been doing, these next 1000 words are for you.

Constant confusion is my current condition. One may think that living in a world of misconceptions and translations would be stressful, however, I am confident to say that I am everything but stressed.

I’m not exactly sure when this confusion started, maybe it was when I took four weeks to find a dance studio, due to the fact that I have no clue how to find reliable websites, when they are in Finnish? Maybe it was when I was concentrating so deeply in my classes, that the words were translated by sheer force, causing me to arrive at the conclusion that I have extremely strange lessons about fish identifying and culinary arts? Either way, I am pleased to share that I find a sense of comfort in this confusion. Over these past two weeks I have had a plethora of positive experiences and I would like to send a huge thank you to this confusion.

Almost daily I find myself sitting on the bus daydreaming (or sleeping) about the topics in school I have misunderstood, and critical details that have been lost in translation. Although this may sound discouraging and frustrating, I am grateful I can find a way around this negativity. I can’t read my history textbook, but pictures speak 1,000 words. Due to miscommunication, I had to do a photography assignment in a time crunch, but turns out I can make effective time-lapses about my host-parents unloading groceries, if needed. Then by the time I am starting my next adventure of a day at school, I am always more excited than the day before, and thus the beginning of my “Excited Canadian” reputation.

I have embraced my inner Rotary Youth Exchange Student and said yes to almost every opportunity that has come my way. Mainly I didn’t completely understand what each activity entailed, so how did I know I wouldn’t enjoy it, if I didn’t know what it was? The beauty of the unknown. My Rotary Club, here in Oulu, invited me to join them in a trip up North to Ylläs for a weekend, they said we would be hiking and watching a play in Finnish. I agreed, and as the departure date approached, I know I told each of my friends “I AM SO EXCITED”, at least once a day. It was a good thing I was so excited because the trip turned out as one of my favorite weekend getaways of my life. Of course, I had a slight worry about these hiking activities because the last time I went on a hike was in 40 degree weather up a volcano in Nicaragua, you can imagine the dust and sweat, we wore like makeup that day, might leave an impression. But, this hike was much greener, and the temperature much more comfortable, I was able to go berry picking throughout the entire forest, and once we got to the top there was a coffee shop, art exhibit and heritage museum, my eyes were opened to the culture of the North. Even though the play was in Finnish, I understood with the help of Rotarians, and the incredible acting lead me to discover that body language is universal. That weekend I also visited Sweden and saw the Northern Lights for the first time, a weekend full of firsts.

This weekend I went sailing again, I watched Charlie St. Cloud to prepare myself the night before and was ready to cast away, on an unknown boat, unsure of what the day would require. As we were leaving the dock I was learning how to know where to exit so that you don’t have traffic accidents, when to put up the sails, how to angle the boat etc. etc. It was such a fun experience, my head was full of entirely new information and on our way back, after 6 hours of learning, I was the captain, steering the boat into the harbor and also taking down the sails, which is not as easy as Charlie St. Cloud made it look. I realize that I have been exposed to an array of opportunities and this confusion has inspired me to say yes to the unknown because opportunities don’t always come your way, but when they do, take advantage of it. Before I left Rotary had instilled in me that you should always say yes, but now I see exactly why. By saying yes and allowing myself to be excited for new activities, I am able to try things that I wouldn’t have previously had the chance. Even though I am confused, I always tell myself, if other people are enjoying it, there must be something fun involved.

On an alternative note, when did day planners become nerdy? I always used to double book myself and have no clue how my week would turn out. But now, I have a newly acquired love for planning, and this agenda allows me to action pack almost every week, giving myself time to pack my bag for the following activities and rarely forget anything. Additionally, how embarrassing would it be to cancel on a coffee date, as an exchange student, with a new friend because you didn’t properly plan? Well I couldn’t tell you because I’m, thankfully, so organized. I could be an ad for Hilroy school and office supplies, I think this one of the best inventions and I don’t know how I missed the importance of this calendar before Finland. I guess this book of clarity is enough to make up for my language-induced confusion.


Whenever anyone asks me what my plans are for the weekends I begin explaining with great enthusiasm, and by the end of the conversation, I am almost always asked “Are you SO EXCITED?”. OBVIOUSLY YES! This is how I have acquired the school wide reputation as “That Excited Canadian”. As confused as I am, I am always more excited.

The cold weather is coming my way, but a bit of snow doesn't scare me,
Fearless Mackie





Accurately showing how I look when I see something new, even if its just the third floor at school, I AM SO EXCITED.

No comments:

Post a Comment