Mackie Douglas

Mackie Douglas
I am going on a Rotary Youth Exchange to Oulu, Finland. Wish me luck.

Saturday 2 May 2015

Most Importantly, We Weren’t Supposed to Fall in Love While Abroad

It’s 9 o’clock in the evening, in the beginning of May, I’ve been laying in bed watching Mamma Mia and thinking for hours. Why am I thinking so hard? 1. I’m trying to figure out where time has gone and 2. I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to spend my last 29 days in Finland (and I also have been watching "That Awkward Moment" which inspired the opening #noshame).

As a Rotary Exchang Student we have 5 rules: no drinking, no drugs, no driving, no decorating (tattoos or piercings), and no dating. With this in mind, I’ve made incredible memories and I still managed to fall in love, while respecting these rules. I’m in love with this place and the person I’ve become, and despite my prior inhibitions, it was surprisingly easy to fall in love, and I won’t let distance keep me from following my heart.

I fell in love with the mountains (or hills, depending on how you look at them). With every chair lift up the slope and every wind burn on the way down, I’ll remember the wholesome feeling of appreciating the snow and natural landscape of Finland. Coming from Canada (more specifically British Columbia *cough* west coast = best coast), of course I knew mountains, but I never appreciated them quite as much as when I hiked in Ylläs, in the beginning of my year abroad, continued my exchange by practically living in my ski boots, and finished the snowy season by trading my skis for a snowboard. I don’t know what next year will look like for me, but I know that I’ll make time for mountains, no matter the weather.


I fell in love with art. Maybe it was the “Star and Super Nova” photo exhibition for the Rotary District Conference opening event. Maybe it was the Oulu modern art gallery that showed me real world issues through multimedia. Or maybe it was the excitement of an art assignment in Helsinki. Whatever it was, art is now ever present in my life through my school and social lives, and I hope it stays.



I fell in love with the language. Finnish is hard. Finnish is complicated. Finnish is monotone. But, have you ever heard a yoga teacher speaking Finnish? Easily the most relaxing experience (other than sauna) I had this year. Just trust me on this one; all yoga teachers should speak Finnish. Any other yoga fanatics, in Finland, reading this, can I get an Amen?

I fell in love with the food. For six months I was homesick for my Mom’s burritos, and nostalgic for my Dad’s barbeque. Then I realized “I literally can’t make karjalanpiirakka at home without it looking like dog food” and suddenly I knew I needed to eat all the Finnish food I could. I even got cravings for potatoes again… As hard as I’ll try, I don’t know when the next time I’ll eat authentic Finnish cuisine, luckily I fell in love with it while I still had time to enjoy it.

I fell in love with the people I am surrounded by. Before I came to Finland and when I arrived in Finland, everyone told me, and told me, and told me again “Finnish people are HARD to become close with”. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe I was so persistent on forcing them to talk to me, but nonetheless, I’ve made incredible friends here that want nothing more than to see me happy, and I wish the same for them. After getting to know everyone, they were open about themselves and curious about me, and now I appreciate the honesty and trustworthiness of the Finns. Finnish people are stereotyped as staying true to their word, and this has taught me countless lessons on how I need mean what I say, and trust that others mean what they say, which can be applied to when making plans with friends, or even giving your honest opinion. It can be applied in many aspects of my life and there are many things I learned this year, but this by far, was the greatest thing Finland taught me.

I know that I can count of them no matter the situation, and I have no doubts that we will stay in touch beyond my time in Finland. I have no idea what I’ll do without all of the amazing people I met this year, but I guess now I have another reason (other than sauna) to come back. I knew when I celebrated my birthday that these people have become as close as family to me. Everyone contributed in some small way to be sure that my birthday was one to remember.

In the following weeks I was too busy for even myself to comprehend. I was dancing in Swan Lake here in Finland, and when the show finished I couldn’t wait t run into the lobby to see all the people that were there specifically for me. This year was also our dance school’s 20th anniversary, and in celebration of the event, they made a yearbook that featured myself and another exchange student, to acknowledge the international path our studio has taken. That weekend, It was also our Rotary District Conference and when I arrived, in a rush, after my dance performance, I was greeted by smiling faces and my host sister with a concerned look saying “You have five minutes to put on your dress!”. The evening was a success with all of the Rotarians proud of how the District 1400 exchange students conducted themselves and how our language skills have progressed this year. I couldn’t have been happier to be a part of the largest (geographically wise), but also smallest (population wise) Rotary district in Finland, #D1400forlife.

I fell in love with the memories. I replay the hours upon hours of memories in my head: nights in Saint Petersburg, days on the ski hill, dinners with my host families, school lessons that were much more fun than they should have been, and everything foreign that happened to me this year. Most of these memories feel as fresh as yesterday’s but I know it’s impossible as some were as long as nine months ago. I just hope they stay as vivid as they are today. 



What I do know is that, these memories I created, with the country I fell in love with, will always be mine to keep.

Sincerely,

Love-Struck Mackie

2 comments:

  1. Hei hei Mackie:

    I just wanted to drop you a quick note to offer up my in-laws as a ‘Finnish Halfway House’ upon your return. You’ll experience many of the things you’ve coming to love about Finland, including warm hearts, laughter and especially the food!

    Drop me a line when you’re back and settled and we can set up some coffee, pulla and Finnish time.
    Thanks for writing so wonderfully about your exchange – we’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Jim Anderson
    jim@venturekamloops.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :) I would love to do that when I come home, I know how much I will miss all the Finnish foods.

      Delete